Friday, January 2, 2009

It is right to fear the Lord

Psalm 2 was in my reading list today and it has this to say in v12:
"Kiss the Son,
lest he be angry, and you perish in
the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled
Blessed are all who take refuge in him."
(ESV)
The IVP New Bible Commentary has this to say about it, quoting Derek Kidner:
"There is no refuge from him: only in him."
Proper fear of the Lord leads us to seek our safety in Him, because we have no need to run from Him. His word says that we are blessed when we take refuge in Him.
We should become humble; "Kiss the Son", in the NRSV it says "kiss his feet". A big act of humility, and a reminder of the reverent fear that God is due.

It is right to fear the Lord.

2 comments:

David McKay said...

I like this post.

Dominic Steele made the point well in one of his talks in his evangelistic series Introducing God

Alan said...

Thanks for dropping by David, and your nice comment. I must say I felt encouraged to blog again. I've intended to check out some Dominic Steele for some time, but still haven't got around to it yet!
I see you're into music, good stuff!