Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I met a friend today

I met one of my friends today.
That may not sound to you unusual, it's fairly common to meet with friends on a day to day basis. But as much as I did meet with them, I also met them for, most likely, the first time. At least, who they are now.

My friend has been suffering for the past few years as a cocaine addict. And over an unplanned coffee, they shared with me their struggles. They told me about the social circles they moved in, the jobs they sought, the life they lived, in order to maintain their fast growing addiction.

Against their better judgement, they took the risk of being rejected by me to share with me where they had failed in life to maintain their own moral convictions at the hands of the ever increasing clutches of cocaine, and how they lied, stole and slept their way to the next high.

They talked about why they stopped their study, how the demand for money meant they couldn't afford to remain at Uni but needed to work. My memory brought up conversations we had had where they were lamenting the fact they were living from house to house as they couldn't afford rent.

My friend also shared how their mother, their partner and their doctor had been working for their recovery over the past weeks, how the mood stabilisers they took for their bipolar symptoms stopped them from finding much to smile about. They talked about their recent engagement, their thoughts for the future, and at the end of it all, they talked about faith.

At no point had my Christian faith been a secret to this person, and on many occasions we had discussed religion, and Christianity, and hope in Christ. They weren't so keen for the 'church' stuff, but were open to discussion of a faith nature.

They identified the bizarreness of our relationship, the fact that we barely had anything in common except for the fact that we both enjoy a good, solid and deep conversation, and after our brief hanging out, I felt a lot of sorrow and compassion for my friend. I had never considered that I would be the friend a drug addict.

My hope and my prayer is that we can continue to hang out, as we intend to do. They said that one of the higher times of the past few years was when we watched a movie together, so that's what we are planning to do. In doing so, I pray God might grant me the opportunity of sharing with them again the hope of the Gospel.

Please pray for my friend. And pray that I might be to them a light.


1 comment:

Nikki Lynch said...

Hi Alan

Thanks so much for posting so thoughtfully and with such kindness about your friend.

People who have fairly 'together' lives can find drug addicts alienating and scary, or pathetic and sub-human. It means so much to me, as someone who has alot of friends and family with crushing drug addictions, to hear christians speak from a heart of love and humility rather than pride, misunderstanding and fear.

From someone who's been there and met a christian and then been saved...there's noone more christlike than a person who has the humility to put the social prejudices aside and be a friend who speaks the gospel to your situation.

May God give you heaps of wisdom and love as you be a friend and a light to this person.

Luv Nikki