Friday, November 7, 2008

Completion?

Well I've blogged about my lists, and I've blogged about my need for direction, now I'm going to blog about getting things done.. or more accurately, not getting things done.

Tim from my church shared something with me when we were discussing leadership and leading groups, to help me lead a group in moving forward with goals. It's called 'The Experiential Learning Theory' and the basic idea is that we learn by Experiencing something, Reflecting on that experience, Theorising about the Experience, and then Applying that Theorising, which then becomes another experience.
I've just done a botch job of explaining it, there is better explanations here.

The secondary part of the theory that I found particularly helpful, was that people tend to excel in one of these four areas, as Activists, Reflectors, Pragmatists, and Theorisers. None of these groups are mutually exclusive, as the theory dictates we need all in order to learn.
Within a group working together, there tends to be a mix of these, and there is a tension between them. As the leader of the group, it would be my job to ensure we didn't get stuck in one area, but let the cycle continue.

I tend to gravitate toward the area of being a Theoriser. And will sometimes need the assistance of a Pragmatist or and Activist in order to achieve something, otherwise I tend to be happy to remain in my theory land. But sometimes the theory is just so exciting, you have to try it out, give it a whirl.

No comments: