Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wisdom and Youthful ambition

About the quote, bear with me. I felt it important to quote it before commenting (sorry there isn't the greatest context for the passage):

1 Timothy 4
"11Command and teach these things. 12Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. 14Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 15Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. 16Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers."

I had a conversation with my friend today about churches that are falling by the wayside, and specifically she was talking about her Gran's church. She spoke of a young pastor who came into the church and set about changing everything. Many of the elder members of the congregation left, until it was just my friend's Gran remaining. And her only reason to stay was out of a sense of duty, in essence to be a reminder that the older members of the church needed to be pastored as well. The church community is suffering the loss badly.

And I had a think about that.
And I thought it was concerning and important to think about.
In my youthful ambition, I can have ideas, and they may be good ideas, but without proper spirit-filled wisdom, and bad timing, and most likely a feeling of self-importance, I can find myself hurting Christ's church.

Paul writes to Timothy to set an example to those that are older than he is, through the way he speaks, the way he acts, and the way he loves. But primarily, Paul reminds Timothy to preach the Gospel, and this example is what will come if he applies it (the gospel) to his own life too.

This passage is both an encouragement and a warning.
We may be young and passionate, and we shouldn't be held in contempt because of this, but we are also under the Gospel, the message we wish to preach, and it is just as relevant to us.
Let us be wise, with a wisdom that comes from the Holy Spirit, to teach the word setting an example through our actions, and our attitudes.
If our heart is on the Gospel, I would suggest that it wouldn't result in the migration of the older generation.

No comments: