Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Desiring God part 1

well really it is part two. but whatever.
So, reading Desiring God. So far, so good.

The book really lays itself out in a way I'd describe as a Systematic Theology of Worship. It begins, rightly I believe, making the premise that God is the object of our worship, and glorification of Him is our chief end. It then sets about showing the implications of this in our lives, moving from topic to topic, from Worship through Love and Scripture and Prayer, to chapters on Money, Marriage and Suffering. I'm into chapter 3 at the moment.

Out of the preface and introductions and the 3 chapters I've read so far, two chapters have really struck me. The one I previously posted about which was chapter 1 - The Happiness of God, and chapter 3, that is the chapter on Worship. Piper takes the passage of the woman at the well in John 4 to describe worship in spirit and in truth, worship of the heart and of the head. I won't summarise him here.

So far, I'm enjoying reading. It's liberating in a way, being given permission to enjoy God.
I'll keep you posted. The next chapter is entitled: Love - The Labor of Christian Hedonism.

I must say, I really don't dig that term.

No comments: