Sunday, June 14, 2009

A low view of God's sovereignty

My view of God's sovereignty, all in all has been low - and I've questioned his sovereignty along with something that Piper raises in Desiring God, that is, the eternal happiness of God, and I've feared for my own existance. Will at some point God get bored and destroy all he has created to start over again?
My fears are completely unfounded - the Bible paints God so differently. My fear is not stemming from any real notion of the instability of God - but rather my ignorance and distrust of scripture.

I wonder how often this happens to other people?

4 comments:

mike said...

You hit the mark. I think the desire to trust experience (that God might be unstable) over and above the Bible and what it says to be true is constant battle.

Unknown said...

The sovereignty of God is a bit of a theme for me at the moment! Possibly from also reading Desiring God. I skipped to the Appendix at the back because I realised that I need to settle it in my own mind before I can go on and agree with Piper's argument. Is God REALLY sovereign? I'm trying to get my head around it.

Alan said...

Oh really Em?
I'm still crunching through from beginning to end, although it was tempting to read the Appendix.
Keep working on it dude! My next book to read is A. W. Pink The Sovereignty of God.. take the topic on full steam ahead.

Alan said...

TOTALLY mike.. ;-) bah.. experience..